In box IX you mostly report interest and mortgage payments to buy your main residence (under I) or another property (under II).
The tax incentives to buy your main residence are a regional matter and you will see that the codes relating to your main residence start with a 3 (for him, on the left) or a 4 (for her). The rules depend on whether you live. In Wallonia, it is called “chèque habitat“. Brussels Capital region has kept the old federal rules for mortgages taken out until 2016 but replaced these deductions with a reduction on the purchase tax of 12.5%. Flanders has kept the “woonbonus” for mortgages until 2019 but since 1 January 2020 replaced it with a lower purchase tax.
If you buy a second property, you are entitled to federal tax benefits (under II). That is mostly a deduction of the interest.
If you file online, a wizard helps you complete your tax return for most mortgages taken out after 2004. The taxman knows, from the bank, how much you paid in capital reimbursements and interest and the wizard helps you claiming the correct tax deductions. It does not, however, optimise the deductions for you.
Your Tax Return :
- the Guide
- Is this your first time?
- Couples and Children
- When do I need to file?
- on Paper or Online?
- Filing Online
- Filing on Paper
- Box I – Contact Details and Bank Account
- Box II – Your Family Situation
- Box III – Real Estate
- Box IV – Earnings
- Box V – Pensions
- Cross Border Taxation
- Box VI – Maintenance Received
- Box VII – Investment Income
- Box VIII – Maintenance Paid and Losses from Previous Years
- Box IX – Mortgage Payments
- Box X – Other Tax Deductions
- Box XII – Paying your Taxes in Advance
- Capital Gains
- Box XIV – Bank Accounts and Insurance Policies
- Box XIV – Trusts
- Stock Exchange Tax
- Tax on Securities Accounts
- Nowhere to hide
- The Tax Bill
- Appealing the Tax Bill
- Flanders ends Dual Bequest Route - 17 March 2021
- EU Officials after Brexit - 10 February 2021
- France Upholds Broad Interpretation of Permanent Establishment - 21 January 2021
Share this Post