Now that you have filed your tax return, all that you can do is wait for the tax man to send you the tax assessment or tax bill.
The “avertissement extrait de role”/”aanslagbiljet” is really the tax bill for your 2019 income. If you have not seen one before, you can click here to see one. If the tax bill is not sent before 30 June 2021, the taxman may have to pay back all withholding tax but that happens rarely.
If the calculation shows a reimbursement, you will receive that about two months later. And if you have to pay tax, you have about two months as well.
* Note for Corona-times and your tax bill for 2018 income: to help with Covid-19, the Belgian tax authorities are giving all taxpayers who received a tax bill since 12 March a further extension of two months to pay their taxes.
Receive the tax bill online
When you file your tax return online, you still receive your tax bill on paper. If you want to receive it online, you need to activate your e-Box in www.mye-box.be
You will always be able to find a copy of your tax bill (and all past tax bills) in your Taxbox, in together with the tax return you filed online in the past (in pdf format).
If the bill was for several thousands of euros, you will probably have checked it. If, however, you saw that you will get some money back or that you will have to pay a few hundreds of euros, in two months’ time, you probably just put it on the pile of bills to be paid some time.
In any event, I would advise that you check it to make sure that there are no mistakes. Have they copied your figures correctly? Does the result seem OK? Is it what you expected? If you want to do the calculations again, try the calculation again on this Tax-calc.
If you have questions, you can always call the local tax office and ask them to explain how they made their calculations.
And if the taxman made a mistake
If you disagree with the tax bill, try to talk with someone at your local tax office first. The address, the telephone number and the email address can be found on page 2 of the tax bill. If it is a simple mistake, they are often prepared to correct the mistake.
If you cannot convince them, you have to appeal and file a “reclamation” or “bezwaar”.
Your Tax Return :
- the Guide
- Is this your first time?
- Couples and Children
- When do I need to file?
- on Paper or Online?
- Filing Online
- Filing on Paper
- Box I – Contact Details and Bank Account
- Box II – Your Family Situation
- Box III – Real Estate
- Box IV – Earnings
- Box V – Pensions
- Cross Border Taxation
- Box VI – Maintenance Received
- Box VII – Investment Income
- Box VIII – Maintenance Paid and Losses from Previous Years
- Box IX – Mortgage Payments
- Box X – Other Tax Deductions
- Box XII – Paying your Taxes in Advance
- Capital Gains
- Box XIV – Bank Accounts and Insurance Policies
- Box XIV – Trusts
- Stock Exchange Tax
- Tax on Securities Accounts
- Nowhere to hide
- The Tax Bill
- Appealing the Tax Bill